9:30 SUNDAY SCHOOL
6:30 WEDNESDAY EVENINGS
Who We Are
First Presbyterian Church of Chenoa is a caring Christian community. We work together to better understand God's word and help others to know Jesus as their Savior. With our elevator on the main floor, our sanctuary and fellowship hall are handicapped accessible. We welcome any that wish to join us!
We adopt a family at Christmas helping to meet their needs and bringing a little joy to their family. We support the work of Mission Aviation Fellowship around the world, sharing in the experiences of these pilot missionaries first-hand when they visit us during time spent back home. We help with mission trips to aid families in Brazil, Guatemala, and Habitat for Humanity in Africa. We brighten and help the lives of shut-ins with visits and rides to appointments. We bring in food and donate to the Chenoa Food Pantry and also help with food baskets at Thanksgiving. We are a congregation of close members that care for each other. We enjoy sharing time together celebrating baptisms, graduations, weddings, anniversaries, concerts, and helping each other. We welcome any that would like to join us sharing Christ's love.
The First Presbyterian Church of Chenoa, Illinois was organized on March 6, 1862, by the Presbytery of Bloomington. Rev. P.D. Young was the first pastor called to serve as a supply pastor for six months. The first church building was erected in 1862. This building was eventually sold and is now used as the Chenoa Public Library adjacent to the city park.
Our present church building was erected during 1874-1875, with the first service being held in the new church building on January 30, 1876. At that time Reverend M. M. Travis served as pastor, being the first regularly installed pastor. Reverend Travis served from 1868 until 1885. The building was dedicated on November 26, 1888.
A pipe organ was installed in 1899. It was replaced with a new organ in 1957.
In 1966-1967 the church basement was remodeled resulting in a change to the front of the building. One of the exterior front stairways to the sanctuary was removed and an interior stairway was built in its place with a new entrance at ground level.
In 1999 an addition holding an elevator with access to the sanctuary located on the 2nd floor and the fellowship hall located below ground level was built. This included a new beautiful lobby entrance. This addition was dedicated in 2000.